Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The beginning of my story

I'm definitely going to have to break this story into separate parts. Otherwise my post will be too long, people will fall asleep, I'll lose my readers.

Before I begin, I have to say that I have the highest admiration for those who work in the fields of traditional and alternative medicine. I work with an amazing team of people who help keep me fit, sane and healthy. With that said...it was challenging to say the least to finally get diagnosed with MS. Seriously. It shouldn't be that difficult. But it is. And we all know that.

This is where I get on a soapbox about being an advocate for your own health. Being an advocate for your own health isn't an option. It's mandatory! Just because you're told something by a doctor, doesn't mean that you can't question what you've been told. Doctors have a lot of knowledge, but let's face it they don't know everything. How could they? And that's okay. But that's where you have to step in.

Explore all the options out there when you get diagnosed. When I said I have a team I wasn't kidding. Here's a list of the people I hang out with on a regular basis as I try to manage my MS...neurologist, GP, therapist acupuncturist, chiropractor, physical therapist, and a personal trainer. No one told me to see all these people. I made that decision on my own based on the research I've done and my gut instinct that tells me there has to be different ways of dealing with MS.

I'm stepping off my soapbox for now. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment